Our 2012 Carr Cabernet Franc has very earthy flavors which are enhanced by subtle chocolate notes. Paired with this great dish the spices and chocolate notes in both are elevated to a whole new level of enjoyment.
Cocoa Rubbed Short Ribs
- 1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 c. light brown sugar
- 3 tbsps. ancho chili powder
- 1-2 tbsps. kosher salt (to taste)
- 2 tbsps. granulated onion
- 1 tbsp. granulated garlic
- 1 tbsp. dried oregano
- 1 tbsp. dried mustard
- 2 tsps. dried ginger
- 2 tsps. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground allspice
- 5 lbs. beef short ribs
- 1/4 cup canola or olive oil
- 2 c. Cabernet Franc
- 2 c. beef broth
- 1 onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves sliced
1. Mix cocoa, sugar, and spices together in a bowl. Rub ribs generously with spice mixture, and wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate overnight.
2. Remove them from the refrigerator and allow the ribs to come to room temperature. Add olive oil to a heavy bottomed Dutch oven and brown the meat in small batches and place them off to the side.
3. In the same pan sauté onions until soft then add garlic and mix for a few seconds. Place the ribs back into the pot along with the wine and beef broth. Bring to a soft boil and turn the burner down to low and cover. Cook on low for 2.5 – 3 hours.
4. Serve over mashed potatoes or creamy polenta.
*Use this rub on other cutes of beef as well such as a roast for amazing flavors!