Two of our favorite things are in season right now: watermelon and rosé. We are down to our last few cases of our 2014 Pinot Noir Rosé and their is nothing better than to sit and enjoy a cool glass with a great summer salad.
Watermelon Salad with Feta and Grilled Peppers
- 1 lb. seedless watermelon, 1 inch cubes
- 2 small cucumbers, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 1/4 c. very thinly sliced red onion
- 1 1/2 tbsp. sherry vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. Paprika
- 1/4 c. + 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 20 shishito peppers
- 20 pitted kalamata olives, halved
- 4 oz.crumbled feta
- 1 c. lightly packed watercress leaves
- 2 tbsp. slivered mint
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped dill
- 1/2 loaf of baguette, cut into cubes and toasted (optional)
1. In a large bowl, gently toss the watermelon, cucumbers, red onion, vinegar, Paprika and 1/4 cup of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
2. In a large skillet, heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Add the shishitos and cook over high heat, tossing, until slightly charred and crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Transfer the shishitos to the baking dish along with the optional toasted baquette and toss.
3. Transfer the salad to plates and garnish with the olives, feta, watercress, mint and dill. Serve right away.