Saffron is an amazing spice to work with. It adds depth to any dish it is added to by creating intense aromas and adding a slight bitterness. This saffron chicken dish is has a slight sweetness with a hint of the saffron bitterness which makes a very interesting pairing with our 2014 Carr Sauvignon Blanc. The crispness of the wine pairs great with the herbaceous and slightly sweet dish.
Saffron Chicken with Rice
- 8 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs, about 3 pounds
- 1 medium onion, chopped medium
- 3 garlic cloves, diced small
- 2 cups white rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 gram of saffron
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ½ tsp olive oil
- salt & pepper
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees, and preheat your largest non-stick oven-safe skillet (13″ across and 2″ deep) over high heat for 2 minutes.
2. Dry chicken thighs well, and trim of excess skin and fat. Salt and pepper both sides generously.
3. Cook the thighs in batches of 4 at a time, starting with the skin side down, over high heat until deep golden brown, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer chicken thighs to a plate.
4. Discard all but 1 tsp of fat. Add in chopped onion and cook until just turning translucent, about 5 minutes. Add in garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute.
5. Stir in 2 cups of white rice, then 4 cups of chicken broth, 1 gram saffron, 1 cup of peas and 1 tsp salt. Return skillet to heat until the liquid just starts to boil.
6. Add in chicken thighs skin side up. Put skillet in the oven and cook uncovered until all the liquid is absorbed and the chicken is cooked through, about 35 minutes.
7. Remove from oven, allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
recipe adapted from Tastes Lovely