The only thing that is better than a glass of wine with dinner is a glass of wine with dessert! Try the 2015 Carr Santa Barbara County Syrah with this warm chocolate cake for the perfect end to your day.
Warm Chocolate Cakes
with Mascarpone Cream
- 8 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1½ sticks unsalted butter
- 3 large eggs, plus 3 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- ½ c. sugar
- ¼ c. cake flour
- ½ c. heavy cream
- ½ vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- 2 tbsp. light brown sugar
- ½ tsp. finely grated lemon zest
- 1 c. mascarpone
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- ½ c. brandied cherries
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Coat six 6-oz. ramekins with butter, and dust lightly with flour. Set the ramekins on a sturdy baking sheet. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate with the butter and let cool.
2. Beat the eggs, egg yolks, and sugar on high speed until pale and fluffy. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the chocolate, then fold in the cake flour.
3. Spoon the batter into the prepared ramekins and bake for 15 minutes, until the cakes have risen, the tops are dry and the centers are slightly jiggly. Let stand for 5 minutes.
5. Run the tip of a small knife around each cake to loosen it, then unmold onto plates. Spoon the mascarpone cream onto the cakes and garnish with the brandied cherries.
recipe adapted from Food and Wine