Tierra Alta is one of the most beautiful properties in Ballard Canyon with its steep rolling hills. It bordered the property Ryan lived on when he first started Carr Winery and was living in Santa Ynez. This vineyard is special and that is why Ryan decided to create a single barrel of this Syrah just for our Luxury and Vintage Club members to enjoy. It won’t even make it into the tasting room and you must be in one of these two clubs to get one of these exclusive bottles!
We chose to pair this exclusive wine with a comforting ragout because beef is a great pairing for Syrah and this recipe just melts in your mouth and is sure to be a crowd pleaser.
- 2 lbs. flank steak
- 1 lg. can peeled tomatoes in juice
- 3/4 c. beef broth
- 3/4 c. Carr Syrah
- 2 carrots
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig thyme
- 2 tbsp. flour
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
1. Cut the steak into large cubes and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat your casserole dish with olive oil and brown the meat on all sides then return meat to plate.
2. Chop the onion. Add more olive oil to the pan if necessary and fry the onions until they are soft. Press the garlic and add to the frying pan with the onions. Add the meat back into the pan and sprinkle with flour, mix well then add the broth.
3. Chop your carrots into slivers then add to your dish along with the tomatoes, Syrah, bay leaves, and thyme. Let simmer covered over low heat for at least 2.5 hours.
4. Serve over garlic mashed potatoes or a bed of egg noodles.