Our 2012 Carr Pinot Noir, Santa Barbara County has subtle earthy notes that are brought out by the olive tapenade in these delicious tarts.
Tomato & Tapenade Tarts
- 1 17.3 oz. package frozen puff pastry (2 sheets), thawed
- 1/2 c. olive tapenade
- 5 to 6 ripe medium tomatoes, cut into 1/4″ slices
- 12 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- fleur de sel
- extra-virgin olive oil
- aged balsamic vinegar
- 18 small fresh basil leaves
- 6 green or black olives, pitted & sliced
1. Position racks in top third and bottom third of oven and preheat to 400°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Working with 1 pastry sheet at a time, roll out on floured surface to 13-inch square. Cut into small rectangles (We did roughly 3×4”). Transfer 3 or 4 rectangles to each baking sheet. Pierce each one with a fork. Top rectangles with another sheet of parchment. Place another baking sheet on top of the parchment on each backing sheet.
2. Place 1 baking sheet stack on each rack in oven and bake 10 minutes. Rotate baking sheets and bake until rounds are golden, about 10 minutes longer. Using oven mitts, carefully remove top baking sheets and top sheets of parchment. Continue baking pastries until deep golden, about 3 minutes longer. Transfer sheets to rack to cool. *Can be made 1 day ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.*
3. Increase oven temperature to 450°F. Spread a generous tablespoon of tapenade over each pastry rectangle, leaving 1/2-inch border around edges. Alternate 4 tomato slices with 4 mozzarella slices on each pastry. Bake just until cheese begins to melt, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle with fleur de sel and pepper, then drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Arrange a few basil leaves and olive slices on top of each tartlet and serve immediately.
makes 12 tartlets
Adapted from Bon Appetit