Happy St. Patrick’s Day! There is no better way to celebrate than with this 2013 Pinot Noir, Santa Barbara County braised Shepherd’s pie. Our Pinot Noir makes the flavors in this classic Irish dish really pop. Keep the rest of the bottle to enjoy with it!
Pinot Noir Braised Shepherd’s Pie
- 2 pounds chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups Carr Pinot Noir
- 15 ounces vegetable broth
- 1 cup peas
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- Fresh rosemary
- Salt & pepper
1. On a stove top, heat olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Generously season chuck roast with salt & pepper. Slice meat into large chunks. Sear on each side for 3-4 minutes.
2. Add carrots, celery, onion, and garlic to the pot, cooking for 6-8 more minutes. Sprinkle flour into pot and stir. Add Carr Pinot Noir and broth to pot and bring to boil.
3. Cover and simmer on low for 2 and 1/2 hours. Remove meat from pot and shred. Add peas to vegetables.
4. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Transfer meat and vegetables to baking dish, spread mashed potatoes over top, and season with salt & pepper. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Top with fresh rosemary.
recipe adapted from Rachel Shultz