Since the leaves don’t change here in Santa Barbara, we are getting our fall color fix from this vibrant pasta dish. Bursting with both color and flavor, it needs an equally exciting wine. Pair it with a bottle of our wine club exclusive 2014 Carr Pinot Noir 777, and your taste buds are sure to be in taste bud heaven.
Penne Alla Vecchia Bettola
- ¼ c. of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- ¼ tsp. chili flakes
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 c. vodka
- 12-15 Roma tomatoes, diced
- ½ c. heavy cream
- ½ c. shredded Parmigiano Reggiano
- ¾ lb. penne pasta
- Salt and pepper
- Parsley or fresh oregano to garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Heat up olive oil in an oven proof skillet. Add onions and sauté for about 5 minutes until translucent. Add garlic and chili flakes and cook for 1 minute. Add vodka and let it cook until reduced by half, about 5-7 minutes.
2. In the meantime chop tomatoes. Add to the pan and cook for 5 minutes. Cover the pan and transfer to the oven. Roast for 1½ hours.
3. Cook pasta for 1 minute less than the instructions state – it will finish cooking in the sauce.
4. Remove tomato mix from the oven and puree in a blender, being careful not to fill it up more than ⅓ at a time. Once all the sauce is blended, place it in the pan and add cream. Mix together and let cook for about 3 minutes.
5. Add grated cheese and season with salt and pepper. Add pasta to the sauce, mix well. Sprinkle with fresh herbs, more cheese, pepper, and serve immediately.
recipe adapted from Innocent Delight