“The Inn Crowd, hosted by producer Craig Case with Chef Michael Hutchings presents a day at the Carr Winery. Ryan and Jessica Carr graciously invited us into their winery to tape a delicious edition of The Inn Crowd. Ryan Carr is the owner, winemaker and grower for Carr Vineyards & Winery. Growing up in Southern California Ryan always had an interest in farming, but never expected he would end up in the wine industry. After graduating from the University of Arizona with an Art degree, Ryan moved to Santa Ynez Valley in California where he discovered the wine industry. With just a taste of some of the local wines he decided to pursue a career in viticulture. He began working in the fields pruning vines with one of the local vineyard management companies.”
“The menu is wine centric and starts with seared scallops on a smooth gazpacho soup.” Pair with 2015 Carr Pinot Gris.
Scallops on a Gazpacho
- 1½ c. zucchini, chopped
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 sprigs parsley
- 1½ lbs. vine tomatoes, largely diced
- ½ cucumber, peeled & seeded
- ½ yellow onion, peeled
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled & chopped
- 5 red bell peppers, seeded & chopped
- 3 oz. sherry wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp. tomato paste
- salt and pepper
- 12 oz. large scallops
- 6 sprigs parsley
- olive oil
1. To make the zucchini mousse, place oil in a stainless steel sauté pan. On medium heat, add the shallots and garlic. Add the zucchini along with the parsley, salt and pepper. Add ¼ c. water and cook until the vegetables are tender, Puree in a food processor, leaving slightly course. Set aside to cool.
2. Place in a blender the cucumber, tomatoes, onion, garlic, bell pepper, tomato paste, sherry vinegar, salt and pepper. Puree on high heat until smooth. Pass through a medium-fine mesh strainer. Set in fridge to cool.
3. Heat a non stick skillet and add some olive oil. Season the scallops with salt and pepper. Cook in smoking hot olive oil until done to your liking, I prefer them slightly underdone. Allow to cool.
4. To serve, place gazpacho in a chilled bowl. Place an oval of the zucchini puree in the middle. Add the scallops and top with a spring of parsley.
recipe created by Michael’s Catering