Our Carr Winery neighbor, Chef Justin West over at Wildwood Kitchen, is helping us celebrate the release of the flagship 2016 Carr Syrah from Kærksov Vineyard by setting us up with this fantastic tri-tip pairing. The flavors compliment and balance out the wine in an effortless way. Swing by Wildwood on Haley St. in downtown Santa Barbara to pick up some of their house BBQ sauce and dry rub, or improvise with your own creation!
Coffee Crusted Tri-Tip
with Celery Root, Grilled Broccoli & Coffee Jus
- 1 tri-tip, trimmed to your liking
- 3.5 oz. Wildwood Coffee Dry Rub
- 12 oz. Wildwood Coffee BBQ Sauce
- 2 lbs. celery root (about 2 stocks)
- 2 tbsp. chopped parsley
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1 lb. broccoli
- 2 tbsp. butter
1. The night before you plan to grill, rub the tri-tip down with 2-3 tbsp. coffee BBQ sauce proceeded by 3-4 tbsp. of coffee dry rub. Cover and place in the refrigerator.
2. The day of grilling: pre-heat your smoker or grill. Smoke and/or grilled tri-tip to an internal temperature of 120ºF. Allow to rest for 20 minutes prior to slicing. Reserve all the resting juices!
3. While the tri-tip is grilling, peel the celery root. Great the peeled celery root on a box grater and add the parsley, garlic, lemon juice, and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Season the broccoli with salt, pepper, and a little olive oil. Grill or sauté with the celery root until tender.
5. Take the juices from the rested tri-tip and place them in a sauce pan with the butter and 1 tbsp. of the coffee BBQ sauce. Stir until the butter is melted.
6. Slice the tri-tip in a normal fashion, plate or serve family style, and enjoy!