The bright acidity of this new 2019 CVW Chardonnay makes it an ideal pairing for heartier seafood dishes like scallops or salmon. Aged in 75% French oak barrels and 25% stainless steel, the wine is well-rounded yet delicate, offering a slightly citrusy finish as a great palate cleanser accompanying this Seared Scallop and Parmesan Risotto.
Seared Scallop and Parmesan Risotto
with CVW Chardonnay
- 1 pound jumbo scallops
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 minced clove garlic or 1 minced shallot (or both)
- 1 1/4 cup arborio rice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 3 1/2 or 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (not pre-grated)
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- In a cast iron or other heavy-bottomed skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of butter until blazing hot. Sautée the scallops for about 2 minutes or until golden-brown, then flip and sautée an additional minute. Remove from pan.
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter. Add garlic and shallots and sautée for a couple minutes until soft, golden, and fragrant.
- Add the arborio rice and stir to coat with butter and garlic mixture. Toast the rice for a few minutes before adding liquid.
- Add 1/2 cup white wine and cook until absorbed. Add additional chicken broth in 1/2 cup increments every 5 minutes or so, stirring often, as rice absorbs each addition of liquid. This should take about 35 minutes total (you might not use all the liquid, though).
- Risotto’s final consistency should be thick and creamy, and rice should be soft but not mushy. Add grated cheese and scallops back to pan and stir until cheese is just melted. Serve and enjoy!